Last application date Aug 20, 2018 06:15
Contract Limited duration
Degree Master of Science degree with strong focus on chemistry and engineering
Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy Type Research staff
- You perform high-quality scientific research related to the application of seaweed-based activated carbon (AC) and biochar. The process parameters and the types of activation in the production of seaweed-based AC starting from the raw material will be investigated.
- Characterization and application of the AC as catalytic materials, with the aim to deliver a doctoral thesis in the research field of environmental catalysis and technology. Target applications are remediation of (1) air pollution, via adsorption of noxious and environmental unfriendly gaseous compounds (NOx, SO2, CO …) and (2) aqueous pollution, via the well-known AC activity for heavy metals (Cd2+, Hg2+, Cr6+ …) adsorption. In both cases, adsorption experiments are to be performed and analyzed. Sequestration reactions, precipitation reactions and conversion reactions are the logical next step in the research by using the AC as catalyst.
- The scientific research includes both experimental laboratory work and the mathematical analysis of the acquired data;
- You publish your research results in peer-reviewed international journals and actively participates in (inter)national conferences;
- You assist actively in writing proposals and grants – together with the promoter;
- Outreach activities are included. This corresponds to an occasional support for recruitment activities, open houses etc…
- You assist your supervisor in teaching undergraduate such as Process Engineering and Chemistry courses at Ghent University Global Campus, Korea.
Full-time junior assistant (PhD student) in environmental catalysis and technology Ghent University – Ghent University Global Campus, Korea
- Last application date: the vacancy remains open until a suitable candidate is found. A first evaluation of the received applications will be done on August, 20, 2018.
- Department: KR01 – Centre for Environmental and Energy Research, Ghent University Global Campus
- Contract: 1 year contract, renewable (max. 4 years).
- Degree: Master of Science degree with strong focus on chemistry and engineering.
- Occupancy rate: 100%.
- Vacancy type: Academic Assisting Staff. Ghent University Global Campus, Korea (GUGC-K) has a vacancy for a position of junior assistant, starting from October, 1, 2018. It concerns a temporary full-time position for a renewable period of max. 4 years.
- You hold from October 2015 a Master of Science degree with strong focus on chemistry and engineering and you have 3 years of experience;
- You have a good knowledge on chemical/environmental catalysis and technology – biology background is an advantage;
- Having practical laboratory experience with performing catalytic processes and/or have publications in catalysis and characterization of catalysts is an advantage;
- You are strong in mathematical (kinetic) data interpretation and analysis;
- You have good knowledge and skills regarding mathematics and modeling, and you feel comfortable with programming;
- You are highly motivated to conduct scientific research in preparation of obtaining a PhD degree in the area of experimental catalysis and modeling, with special attention to environmental applications;
- You have an independent research and strong self-learning ability; a creative and inquisitive attitude is a must;
- You have strong didactic, communicative and management skills and a large interest in providing and supporting academic education;
- Educational experience and participation on extra-curriculum training, conferences,… is recommended;
- You have an excellent academic track record, an excellent command of English (a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT test), and good academic writing and presentation skills.
Applications should be sent no later than August, 20, 2018 by email to email@example.com and Philippe.Heynderickx@ghent.ac.kr with application and motivation letter, CV, copies of degrees, and an overview of the study results attached. Please use as subject: 20181001-PMH-SBAC and both addresses are mentioned in 1 mail. Please merge all documents into one PDF file. A PDF version of the master’s thesis might be requested in a later stage.Continue reading