Last application date Jun 30, 2018 23:59
Department LA24 - Department of Green Chemistry and Technology
Contract Limited duration
Degree A Master’s degree in Bioscience Engineering, Chemical Engineering or an equivalent degree. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment (per 1 October 2018).
Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy Type Research staff
Applications are invited for a fully-funded 3.5 year PhD scholarship position within the Thermochemical Conversion of Biomass Research Group at Ghent University. Brief description of the position, required candidate profile and the application procedure are listed below.
Your tasks include:
- You will work within the framework of the ABC-Salt (Advanced Biomass Catalytic Conversion to Middle Distillates in Molten Salts) project, funded by EU’s H2020 research and innovation programme. The project aims lab-scale validation of the production of sustainable liquid biofuels from various lignocellulosic waste streams.
- You will be involved in the design, optimization and validation of lab-scale set-ups for liquefaction/pyrolysis of lignocellulosic waste streams in molten salt media.
- You will perform original research under supervision while reporting and presenting the results of the research in international journals and conferences.
- You will successfully defend a doctoral dissertation at Ghent University.
What we can offer you:
- We offer you a 3.5 year full-time PhD scholarship position.
- The opportunity to work in a dynamic and multi-disciplinary research environment.
- A four-year doctoral training programme in Ghent University.
- Your appointment will start on 1 October 2018 the latest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale ‘WM’ (‘Scientific personnel’). More information is available on our website.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits can be found on UGent's website (in Dutch).
ABOUT THERMOCHEMICAL CONVERSION OF BIOMASS RESEARCH GROUP
Thermochemical Conversion of Biomass (TCCB) research group is a relatively young research unit formed in 2008 at Faculty of Bioscience Engineering of Ghent University. The research is centered on the development and optimization of thermochemical conversion technologies to renewable fuels, chemicals and energy from biomass. Regarding the thermochemical conversion technologies, the research is devoted to fast pyrolysis, catalytic fast pyrolysis and hydropyrolysis for the production of liquid biofuels and chemical intermediates, to slow pyrolysis for the production of biochar and to torrefaction as a biomass pretreatment unit operation. Other technologies of interest include hydrothermal conversion technologies, torrefaction, gasification and post-conversion treatment of bio-oil, which includes upgrading and fractionation.
Profile of the candidate
Who we're looking for:
- You hold a Master’s degree in Bioscience Engineering, Chemical Engineering or an equivalent degree. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment (per 1 October 2018).
- You are interested in and strongly motivated by the research topic.
- You have an experience in working in a research laboratory.
- You have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- You are proficient in written and spoken English (at least CEFR-level B2 or equivalent).
How to apply
Apply by e-mailing to email@example.com your application before last application date (30/06/18). Make sure you submit the following documents – all at once:
- motivation letter
- CV, including an overview of study results and transcript of records (merged into one file of maximum 5 MB)
- a transcript of the required degree
- the contact information of two referees
- for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if you already have it)
Applications lack (one of) the above-mentioned documents will be deemed ineligible.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. dr. ir. Frederik Ronsse (Frederik.Ronsse@UGent.be, +32 9/264 62 00).