Ref.12.17.168 Research Laboratory Assistant - Magnetic theranostics of ageing related diseases
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Department: Life Sciences
Group: Diagnostic Tools & Methods
Job Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 24 months
Closing Date: July 8th, 2018 23:00 (Lisbon time)
Salary: Competitive package and benefits
INL is seeking an experienced Research Laboratory Assistant to work in the development of collaborative projects in the area of magnetic nanostructures for theranostics of cancer and ageing related diseases, as well as to provide support to the Department of Life Sciences at INL. Chemical synthesis labs, cell culture facilities and state-of-art characterization facilities are available in place, including pre-clinical MRI scanner and radio-frequency magnetic field generators.
Job Role & Key Responsibilities
As a Research Laboratory Assistant targeted on magnetic theranostics of ageing related diseases you will take on a key role within the following responsibilities:
- Development and validation of multifunctional nanostructures for early and accurate diagnosis and therapy of different diseases, i.e. cancer and neurodegenerative diseases;
- Use existing technologies in straight collaboration with pre-clinical partners: chemical synthesis, physico-chemical characterization (techniques i.e. XRD, SEM, TEM, TGA, UV/FL spectroscopy, magnetometry) and performance assessment of tailored magnetic nanostructures for multimodal imaging applications (MRI, PET, optical) and magnetic therapy (i.e. magnetic hyperthermia-MH), as well as their in vitro/in vivo pre-clinical validation (toxicity, ADME, etc.).
- Support to the central facilities (biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, cell culture Labs) of the department, students and researchers, stock maintenance, cell culture and waste management;
- Overall the work comprises laboratory work and administrative tasks.
Applicants should meet the following requirements:
- MSc in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering or related technical fields;
- Over 5 years of active experience as hands-on laboratory technician in nanomedicine related topics;
- Contrasted experience in cell culturing both with primary cells, cell lines, and co-culture;
- Experience on the evaluation of interactions between nanomaterials and biological systems (uptake, intracellular fate, etc);
- Biological assays (cell labeling, cell viability, haemolysis, etc);
- Hands-on knowledge of physicochemical nanoparticle characterization techniques and data analysis expertise;
- Practical expertise in magnetic resonance phantom imaging and experience in other imaging-based medical diagnosis and therapy technologies will be also valued;
- Felasa C habilitation for animal work;
- Further experience as administrative technician in chemistry/biology oriented research teams will be highly considered;
- Publications in international journals will also be valued;
- Applicants with international mobility experience will be highly evaluated.
- Strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary environment, with the ability to pay close attention to detail and to meet deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills and experience in the dissemination of results to the scientific community are expected;
- Capable of establishing collaborative ties with distinguished academic groups and relevant industry partners.
- English is the working language of INL. Upper advance level in oral and written English is required.
- Working knowledge of another language is an advantage.
What we offer
- Employment contract and competitive compensation package;
- Employees will also benefit of the various social facilities available at INL;
- International and highly competitive environment in contact with leading edge technology.
How to Apply
International candidates are welcome to apply. Only applications in English will be accepted. The application is made online. Please click on the 'Apply' button;
Interested applicants should submit a motivation letter, a full curriculum vitae and University certificates. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment, you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Office.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL is an equal opportunity organisation, committed to providing equal career opportunities and firmly adheres to a principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issues.
Enquires should be made to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.