Department/Division Innovation & Economic Development
Job Title Technology Development Specialist
Reports to Senior Technology Development Manager
Type of Position: Full-time
Reporting to the Senior Technology Development Manager, the Technology Development Specialist (TDS) is required to identify promising technologies from the intellectual assets of KAUST researchers to drive further development towards innovative products for commercialization (via a license or new startup company) through translational grants or other funding streams.
The TDS will be responsible for developing and increasing the number of technologies to be commercialized within the KAUST technology portfolio.
As part of the Technology Development Team, the TDS will work closely with other members of the Technology Transfer Office (TTO) to achieve the objectives of the Office of Innovation and Economic Development for the benefit of KAUST and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Scouting, identifying and developing technologies that will enable KAUST to contribute to the diversification of the Saudi Arabian economy, and the global economy.
- Working with the Senior Technology Development Manager and Director of Technology Transfer to identify opportunities to establish deep-tech start-up companies and licensing opportunities for existing Saudi Arabian and International corporations.
- Work with KAUST Faculty to scout and prepare new Technology Development Roadmaps.
- Development of translational grant applications in collaboration with members of KAUST faculty and staff.
- Create awareness of technology development programs.
- Responsible for a number of projects including progress tracking, updates and status reporting.
- Works as part of the multi-disciplinary technology development team and provide support to the Senior Technology Development Manager as required.
- Applies knowledge to support the development of proposals and estimates for new technology projects.
- Operates in adherence to established technology development processes, such as a standardized gate process, design and development procedures, milestones, deliverables and timelines.
- This position will focus on the development of technology demonstrations in defined areas and deciding, with input from the Senior Technology Development Manager; go/no go on starting further systematic development.
- Applies knowledge to map KAUST technical strengths (Research, Development & Prototype Development) and share these with managers.
- Works with external contractors to deliver rapid technology development deliverables in accordance with the Technology Development Roadmap.
- Uses knowledge and experience of business needs to translate research outputs into commercial outcomes through appropriate technology development plans and commercialization strategies.
- Can communicate the impact of translational projects and tools effectively to peers in other functional areas.
- Supports I&ED’s activities to interface with Industry with the goal of identifying opportunities in targeted fields.
- Applies technical and commercial knowledge to identify opportunities for new technology development by providing a concise technical and business overview with potential impacts to KAUST technologies.
- Provides knowledge to assist in the review of invention disclosures
The individual selected must show a history and ability of interacting effectively with academic and management staff within a university setting as well as understanding the needs of key stakeholders and industry partners outside the university.
Selected person should demonstrate following capabilities:
- Strong understanding of the academic research environment across a broad range of technology fields
- Experience of working with early stage technologies and companies
- Understanding of intellectual property protection and monetization
- Capable of building strategic working relationships
- Technical knowledge and skills, particularly of product development and technology management
- Business acumen including project planning and organizing
- Communication (internal and external)
- Experience in accelerating technology from concept to market
- Demonstrated success in more than one industry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong partner focus
- Excellent project management skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to meet time sensitive deadlines
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- MS or PhD degree in science or engineering.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Registered Technology Transfer Professional (RTTP) preferred but not essential